Nestled in the heart of the Red Sea, off the coast of Hurghada, lies a hidden gem known as Mahmya Island. This idyllic island, part of the Giftun Island protected area, is a sanctuary of pristine blue waters, white sandy beaches, and a world teeming with vibrant marine life. A trip to Mahmya is more than just a day trip; it’s a journey into a world of untouched beauty and tranquil serenity.
Setting Sail to Mahmya Island
Your journey to Mahmya starts at the bustling Hurghada Marina, where numerous boats await to whisk you away on an unforgettable adventure. As the boat slices through the azure waters of the Red Sea, the excitement builds. The trip to the island usually takes about an hour, but with the sun kissing your skin and the salty sea breeze caressing your face, it’s an hour well spent.
The Allure of Mahmya
Upon arrival, the first thing that strikes most people is the island’s breathtaking beauty. Mahmya, meaning “protected area” in Arabic, truly lives up to its name. The island’s beaches are a sight to behold, with their white sands contrasting against the crystal-clear waters of the Red Sea.
The Beaches and Activities
Mahmya’s private beach is a haven for beach lovers. Whether you want to bask in the sun, build sandcastles with the kids, or engage in some beach volleyball at the spacious volleyball court, there’s something for everyone. For the more adventurous, sand soccer provides a unique twist on the traditional beach activities.
Exploring the Underwater World
One of the main highlights of a trip to Mahmya is the opportunity to explore its underwater world. The island’s location in the Red Sea, famous for its rich biodiversity, makes it a prime spot for snorkeling. With a snorkel and fins, you can immerse yourself in a world of colorful coral reefs and exotic fish. If you’re lucky, you might even spot dolphins frolicking in the sea.
Dining at Mahmya
After a day of swimming and snorkelling, it’s time to refuel. The island’s restaurant offers a variety of dishes, but the seafood is the star of the show. Freshly caught and expertly prepared, it’s a delight for the taste buds. The price you pay for lunch includes soft drinks to quench your thirst. However, alcoholic drinks are extra, so you might want to keep that in mind.
Unwinding at the End of the Day
As the day winds down, there’s nothing quite like watching the sunset on Mahmya. The sky paints a picture of warm hues, reflecting on the calm sea, as the sun bids farewell. It’s the perfect end to a perfect day on Mahmya Island.
Planning Your Trip to Mahmya Island
The Best Time to Visit
Mahmya is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit is between April and October when the weather is warm, and the sea conditions are ideal for snorkeling. However, even in the cooler months, the island’s beauty remains undiminished, and the reduced number of visitors can make for a more peaceful experience.
Getting to Mahmya Island
Most people choose to visit Mahmya as part of a day trip from Hurghada. Many tour operators offer packages that include transportation, lunch, and snorkeling equipment. The boats usually leave Hurghada Marina early in the morning and return in the late afternoon.
While the majority of visitors come to Mahmya for a day trip, there are a few options for those who wish to stay overnight. The island itself doesn’t have any hotels, but there are several accommodations available in nearby Hurghada. Some visitors choose to charter private boats and anchor offshore for a unique overnight experience.
What to Bring
When packing for your trip to Mahmya, remember to bring your swimwear, a towel, sunscreen, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun. If you plan to snorkel, most tour operators provide equipment, but you can also bring your own.
# Making the Most of Your Mahmya Island Experience
Exploring the Island
While the beaches are the main attraction, there’s more to Mahmya than just sun and sand. Take the time to explore the island’s interior, where you can discover a variety of local flora and fauna.
Respect the Environment
Mahmya is a protected area, which means that it’s essential to respect the environment during your visit. Avoid touching or disturbing the marine life while snorkeling, and always dispose of your trash responsibly.
Enjoying the Local Cuisine
While the restaurant on Mahmya offers a range of dishes, don’t miss the opportunity to try the local seafood. It’s fresh, delicious, and a highlight of the Mahmya experience.
Relax and Unwind
Above all, a trip to Mahmya is about relaxation. Whether you’re lounging on the beach, swimming in the pristine blue waters, or savoring a meal at the restaurant, take the time to unwind and soak in the island’s tranquil beauty.
Safety and Precautions on Mahmya Island
While Mahmya Island is a haven of tranquility, it’s still essential to keep safety in mind. Always supervise children while swimming or snorkeling, as the sea can sometimes be unpredictable. It’s also advisable to wear water shoes to protect your feet from sharp coral or sea urchins.
Ensure to stay hydrated throughout the day, especially during the hotter months. While the price of your trip usually includes soft drinks, it’s a good idea to bring additional water. Also, remember to apply and reapply sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun’s harsh rays.
An Eco-Friendly Destination
Mahmya Island isn’t just a tourist destination; it’s a testament to Egypt’s commitment to preserving its natural treasures. The island is part of the Giftun Island Marine Protectorate, and efforts are ongoing to maintain its pristine condition.
Visitors are encouraged to respect the island’s natural environment. This means not leaving any trash behind and not disturbing the marine life. By doing so, you’re not only ensuring a pleasant experience for yourself but also helping preserve Mahmya for future generations.
Capturing the Memories
Don’t forget to bring your camera! Mahmya Island offers a wealth of photographic opportunities. From the stunning landscapes to the vibrant marine life, there are countless sights to capture. Just remember to respect the environment and the wildlife when taking your photos.
A Perfect Day Ends
As your day in Mahmya draws to a close, take a moment to reflect on the experiences you’ve had. From the thrill of the boat ride to the serenity of the beach, from the excitement of snorkeling to the delicious seafood lunch, every moment spent on Mahmya Island is a memory to cherish.
As you board the boat back to Hurghada Marina, the sun setting on the horizon, you’ll carry with you the sights, sounds, and tastes of Mahmya. It’s more than just a day trip; it’s an experience that stays with you long after you’ve left its shores.
A trip to Mahmya is a must when visiting Hurghada, Egypt. From the boat ride from Hurghada Marina to the island’s white sandy beaches, from the snorkelling adventure in the Red Sea to the delicious seafood lunch at the restaurant, every moment is a memory in the making.
Whether you’re a solo traveler seeking peace and tranquility, a couple looking for a romantic getaway, or a family wanting to spend quality time together, Mahmya caters to all. So, pack your bags, put on your sunhat, and get ready to explore Mahmya, a slice of paradise in the heart of Egypt.
FAQ about Mahmya Island
What is the small island off Egypt?
– Off the coast of Egypt, in the Gulf of Aqaba, lies a small yet historically rich island known as Pharaoh’s Island, also referred to as Coral Island.
Can you swim in the sea in Hurghada?
– Absolutely! Hurghada, situated on Egypt’s eastern coast, is a popular destination for water sports enthusiasts. With its proximity to coral reefs and an underwater garden, it’s an ideal spot for swimming, snorkeling, and diving.
How do I get from Hurghada to Mahmya Island?
– The journey from Hurghada to Mahmya Island begins with a boat ride from Hurghada Marina. Numerous tour operators provide day trip packages inclusive of the boat ride, lunch, and snorkeling gear.
What is a fun fact about Hurghada?
– Hurghada is famed for its exceptional diving spots in the Red Sea. The diverse marine life around Abu Ramada Island and Giftun Kebir, filled with colorful fish and coral, attracts outdoor sports enthusiasts from around the world.
What is a fact about Hurghada?
– One noteworthy fact about Hurghada is its reputation for extraordinary diving spots in the Red Sea. The abundant marine life, particularly around Abu Ramada Island and Giftun Kebir, is a major draw for outdoor sports enthusiasts.
What is the best beach on Giftun Island?
– The most renowned beach on Giftun Island is arguably Orange Bay, located in the center of the island on the west side. It’s known for its white sandy beaches and crystal-clear waters, making it a must-visit spot.
What is the island in front of Hurghada?
– The Giftun Islands, part of a national park, lie directly in front of Hurghada. These islands, along with a series of desert islands and islets, are home to amazing seabeds. Mahmya and Paradise Island, located in the south, are also notable spots.
What is Hurghada known for?
– Hurghada is renowned for its water sports activities, vibrant nightlife, and warm climate. It’s a popular holiday spot for Europeans, especially during the winter season, thanks to its water activities and the nearby coral reefs.
What is special about Hurghada?
– Hurghada’s unique appeal lies in its abundant natural resources and beauty. The city is visited for its colorful coral reefs, luxurious resorts, beautiful desert escapes, and refreshing Red Sea activities.
What are the islands in Egypt?
– Egypt is home to a variety of islands, each offering a unique charm. From the bustling Gezira Island in Cairo to the tranquil beauty of Mahmya Island in Hurghada, there’s an island for every type of traveler in Egypt.
What are 5 interesting facts about Egypt?
– Egypt is home to the only remaining ancient wonder of the world, the Great Pyramid of Giza. The ancient Egyptians had a sophisticated understanding of the afterlife and loved board games. The country is also home to seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites and Mount Sinai, where the 10 Commandments were given.
How many days are enough in Hurghada?
– A three-day stay in Hurghada allows you to experience the natural wonders of the Red Sea, enjoy the city’s attractions, and discover the surrounding desert. If you have more time, consider trips to Cairo or Luxor.
What are 2 important facts about Egypt?
– Two significant facts about Egypt include its home to the only remaining ancient wonder of the world – the Great Pyramid of Giza, and the ancient Egyptians’ deep understanding of the afterlife. The country is also known for its love for board games and its seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Why visit Hurghada?
– Hurghada is a must-visit for its extraordinary diving spots in the Red Sea. The rich marine life, especially around Abu Ramada Island and Giftun Kebir, attracts outdoor sports enthusiasts from around the globe.
How do I get from Hurghada to Eden Island?
– To reach Eden Island from Hurghada, you need to take a boat from the ultra-modern Hurghada Marina. The journey takes about an hour, and most boats stop at the stunning Sabina Reef for snorkeling amongst the lush coral gardens and brightly colored fish.
Is Hurghada a good place to visit?
– Yes, Hurghada is an excellent place to visit. With its beautiful beaches, abundant marine life, and a variety of water sports activities, it offers a unique mix of relaxation and adventure for all types of travelers.